1. Enjoy your food: try to enjoy lots of different food every day for variety and enjoyment. Share food with family and friends.
2. Breakfast is very important meal: your body needs energy after long sleep so breakfast is important. Food that are high in carbohydrate such as bread, cereals, fruits make good breakfast choices. Skipping meals especially breakfast can lead to out of control hunger, often resulting in helpless over eating. Skipping breakfast can also cause lack of concentration for school-work.
3. Eat lots of different food: a variety of different food every day is the secret for good health. You need 40 different vitamins and minerals for good health and no one food can supply all of them. There are no ‘good’ or ‘bad’ food so you don’t need to miss the food you enjoy.
4. Base your food choices on carbohydrate: these food provide needed energy, vitamins and minerals. Food that are high in carbohydrate include pasta, breads, cereals, fruits and vegetables. Try to include some of these food in every meal as more than half of the calories in your diet should come from them.
6. Fat facts: Everyone needs some fat in the diet for good health. Polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFAs) are essential fatty acids and are considered healthy fat. Fish, Avocado, Nuts, vegetable oil are good source of PUFAs. However, too much fat, especially saturated fat can be bad for our health. Saturated fat is found in full fat dairy food, pies, pastries, fatty meat and processed food such as sausages.
7. Snack choices: Snack help to provide energy and nutrient. Choose from a variety such as fruits, dairy, biscuits, cakes, crisps, nuts and chocolates. Make sure to vary your choices to keep the balance in your diet.
8. Quench your thirst: You need to drink plenty of liquid because half of our body is made up of water. At least six glasses of fluid a day are needed. More if it is very hot or you are exercising.
9. Care for your teeth: Care your teeth by brushing them at least twice a day. Food high in starch or sugars can play a role in tooth decay if they are eaten too frequently throughout the day. So don’t nibble or sip sweetened drinks all day.
10. Get moving: being fit is important for healthy heart and strong bones. Try to do something physical every day and make sure it is something you enjoy to stick with. Too many calories and not enough activity can result in weight gain. Moderate physical activity helps cut off these extra calories. You don’t have to be an athlete to get on move!
Name : Pratiksha Shrestha
Ms. Shrestha holds masters degree in food engineering and bioprocess technology from Asian Institute of Technology (AIT) Thailand. She is currently working for Government of Nepal at Department of Food Technology and Quality Control (DFTQC), Kathmandu. She is also a teaching faculty in College of Applied food and Dairy Technology (CAFODAT) affiliated to Purbanchal university, Nepal.